Monday, April 25, 2011

Volunteering During Golden Week - Miyagi Prefecture

Volunteer Centers in Miyagi are bracing themselves for the Golden Week Rush. There is a great deal of concern that the numbers of volunteers will overwhelm the VCs in terms of parking, availability of jobs, etc. If you are thinking about volunteering during Golden Week, if there is any possibility of delaying your activities until after the rush dies down, please consider doing so.
Tohoku will need many volunteers over the upcoming months, and your efforts will be most effective if you schedule them according to the VCs' needs.

Here is a general updates on the status of the four VCs in Miyagi that have been accepting volunteers from outside of the prefecture:

Ishinomaki VC
is asking that volunteers coming during Golden Week register in advance.

Watari VC will not accept new volunteers from outside of the prefecture as of 5/1.

Iwanuma VC plans to continue accepting volunteers from outside of the prefecture, but there is great concern about the availability of jobs. The number of volunteers yesterday already climbed from 180 to 280. In the past, volunteers have been turned away at this VC or asked to wait when there has not been enough work to go around. There is also concern about the availability of parking and camping space.

Kessennuma VC
asks that larger groups register in advance and asks volunteers to bring extra gasoline in case local supplies are overwhelmed by the rush.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Bruce Merit.

    I'm a retired fire fighter from Canada currently just volunteering for Habitat for Humanity where I was building homes. I'm coming to Japan on April 16th for two weeks and am willing to volunteer for at least a week of my time in any area that needs my assistance and skills.

    I used to live in Japan for 10 years so my Japanese is limited but I still can get by, I also am used to driving in Japan and have an International driving license. I also enjoy cooking and am very skilled in the kitchen as well building homes or demolition.

    I look forward in hearing from you at your earliest convenience so I may be of some assistance.

    Thank you for getting back to me.


    Yours Truly,

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete